Document submissions for Assistants in this portal is not correct please go to the Assistant Information Page to submit your information

Continuing Education

Temporary Licensees: What do I do?

You do not have to get Continuing Education credit during your Supervised Experience Year. Be sure to check with other organizations that you’re apart of for their Continuing Education requirements.

Cycle Sync, what does it mean?

We keep track of the start and end date of your Continuing Education cycle. We do not have access to licensees ASHA accounts and the only way the Board can verify a licensees Continuing Education is through the licensee providing official, verifiable documentation to the Board when audited.

Licensees do not have to submit Continuing education unless they are audited.

Continuing Education Requirements

The Board will require signed statements from licensees affirming that they are in compliance with the CEU requirement. The statements will be printed in the license renewal forms that are returned with the license renewal fee each year. Licensees will be subject to random audit of their continuing education documentation.

  • Each licensee will have a three-year cycle to complete the required 30 CEU hours.
  • You may elect to have your CEU cycle synced with your ASHA cycle. Your cycles will continue on in three year cycles beginning on January 1st of the first year and ending December 31sr of the third year of your cycle.
  • If you would like to change your CEU cycle this change can only be done once.
  • CEU cycle sync requests must be submitted in writing. Be sure to include the start and end year of your cycle. You can email Elisabeth Newman or write a letter and mail it to:


    PO Box 16885

    Greensboro, NC 27416

If audited, what happens?
  • With ASHA or AAA: CEUs and CMUs recognized by ASHA toward the certification maintenance will be accepted by the Board of Examiners. Licensee’s may refer to the ASHA CEU guidelines and registry.
  • Without ASHA or AAA: The licensee will be required to maintain a log and Official CEU Activity award documentation for all CEU activities. This documentation should include but not limited to: the date/dates of course completion, CEU credits/hours awarded for the course, the course name, provider of the course, and signature of instruction/provider of the course. These records are to be kept for a period of five (5) years. Registries from the American Academy of Audiology (AAA), American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), and Department of Public Instruction (DPI) will also be accepted as proof of CEU Compliance.

At the present time, the Board will not review or approve any individual courses or activities submitted for CEU Credit. Only professional courses in the areas of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology accepted by ASHA, the Department of Public Instruction, or the American Board of Audiology towards meeting their CEU requirement will be accepted by the Board.

CE Submissions: What we accept For college courses, an official copy of the college transcript sent directly from the university to us. This can be emailed to: [email protected] CEU Activity Information which must include the following information on every activity in which you participated:
  • Title of the course or activity
  • Name of the sponsoring organization or college / university
  • Dates(s) of attendance or completion
  • Number of professional development hours earned
  • Official CEU activity award documentation for all CEU activities
  • Name of presenter / instructor / licensee earning CE credit
  • Signature validating that the CEU requirement for that course has been met
CE Submissions: What we don’t accept
  • Personal word documents
  • Personal excel spreadsheets
  • PDF’s made of personal lists

We need to be able to verify that it came from ASHA, AAA, NCDPI, your personal account with one of these systems, or it fulfills the CE Submission Requirements above. If we can’t verify that it’s official documentation we can’t accept it.

What does the Administrative Code: 21 NCAC 64 .0218 Continuing Education say?

Beginning January 1, 2009 each licensee must complete 30 hours of continuing professional education in their fields sponsored by the American Speech-Hearing-Language-Association, the North Carolina Speech-Hearing-Language Association, or the North Carolina Department of Instruction; or other courses approved by the Board as similar to courses offered by any of these organizations. History note: Authority G.S. 90-304(a)(3); Eff. September 1, 2008

How do I upload CE to my account?
  • Be sure you have used the email address on file with the Board and have activated your account. If you need to update your email address please fill out a Tech Support Request form.
  • Here is the tutorial for Licensee Account Activation.
  • After activating your account, and logging in, you will see a dashboard to the left of your screen.
  • Underneath the orange header called, “License/Registration”, there is an option in white called, “Continuing Education”, please select this header.
  • After this you will see a window showing the CE period, License type, and Status. There is a button called, “View”, it will have a magnifying glass to the left of the word. Click this button.
  • Please go to the bottom of the page there is a blue rectangular button that says, “+ Add New Records”, click this button and you can upload your CE documents.
  • The image below is a screenshot of the Dashboard with a purple rectangle outlining the CE option.
  • Menu option list in licensee portal